IMG Enhances Its Marine Group Medical Insurance Program
August 22, 2013
(INDIANAPOLIS, IN – AUGUST 22, 2013) – International Medical Group®, Inc. (IMG®), a worldwide leader in designing, distributing and administering global medical insurance benefits, announced it enhanced its flagship marine group medical insurance program, International Marine Medical InsuranceSM (IMMI). According to IMG, the enhancements enable ship owners to provide their crew comprehensive coverage for eligible medical expenses, which is increasingly important with the enactment of the Maritime Labour Convention (MLC, 2006).
The MLC, 2006, which took effect August 20, 2013 and became binding in international law, establishes minimum working and living standards for all seafarers on those ships. As such the MLC, 2006, requires ship owners to provide health protection and medical care to seafarers on board their ship. According to IMG, the IMMI program can help alleviate some of the challenges that owners may face in finding the appropriate medical care coverage for their crew.
“We have provided specialized international medical insurance programs to marine professionals for more than 20 years,” said vice president of IMG’s marine division, Al Wallace. “We understand their unique needs and recognize their mobile lifestyle. That’s why we designed a group insurance program that offers continuous comprehensive medical coverage and helps provide ship owners peace of mind that they can provide quality, dependable protection for their crew.”
Some of the benefits and optional riders offered under this program include:
- $5 million maximum benefit per insured person per period of coverage
- Primary to the vessel’s Protection and Indemnity Insurance (P&I)
- Crew Member Return – Provides reimbursement of transportation expenses to reunite insured persons with the ship in the event they received eligible inpatient medical stay that didn’t require emergency medical evacuation, and there assigned ship leaves
- Optional Maritime Rider – Provides additional benefits for sudden and unexpected recurrence of pre-existing conditions. Provides for the reimbursement of transportation costs for the insured person’s return to the designated city/country in the event that crew member is deemed medically unfit for duty.
- Coverage for eligible dependents available
- Amateur Sailboat Racing
- Adventure Sports Rider – Provides coverage for certain adventure sport activities that would normally be excluded
Additionally, when seeking treatment outside the U.S., IMG works closely with insured crew members to assist them in locating, requesting and coordinating information for care in order to obtain the most efficient and cost-effective care available. IMG also provides international utilization management, comprehensive case management, transplant network provider access, out-of-network claim negotiation and medical claim review.
IMG Product PR