Student Health Advantage Platinum
Comprehensive medical insurance for international students or scholars
Designed for individuals or groups of five or more students or scholars participating in a sponsored study abroad program, and who desire a platinum-level annually renewable comprehensive medical plan. This plan meets student visa requirements, includes benefits for maternity, mental health, organized sports and international emergency care. By choosing the Platinum plan option, you can rest assured knowing you have the highest level of benefits providing the coverage you need.
Your educational adventure should be enjoyable and gratifying. Maintaining the ability to be flexible and responsive, IMG developed Student Health Advantage, an international health care plan designed to specifically meet the needs of international students involved in long-term educational programs. The plan offers a complete package of international benefits available 24 hours a day.
Additionally, you have access to more than 17,000 providers when seeking treatment outside the U.S. using our International Provider AccessSM (IPA). You can also reduce your out-of-pocket expenses when seeking treatment in the U.S. by locating providers through the independent Preferred Provider Organization.
- Comprehensive medical insurance for international students or scholars participating in a sponsored study abroad program
- Coinsurance in PPO network or student health center within the U.S.: Company pays 100%
- Maximum limit for student: $1,000,000
- Provides coverage for maternity
- Students / Scholars
Conditions of Coverage
- Coverage and benefits are subject to the deductible, limites and coinsurance, and all terms of the Certificate of Insurance and Master Policy.
- Coverage under this plan is secondary to any other coverage.
- Coverage and benefits are for eligible medical expenses which are medically necessary and usual, reasonable and customary.
- Charges must be administered or ordered by a physician.
- Charges must be incurred during the Period of Coverage or the Benefit Period.
- Claims must be presented to IMG for payment within 180 days from the date the claim was incurred.
To be eligible to apply to the Student Health Advantage plan, you must:
- Be a full-time student or scholar, the spouse of the full-time student or scholar, or a dependent traveling with the full-time student or scholar
- Reside outside the country of residence for the purpose of pursing international educational activities including college course work, research, or teaching for a temporary period of time.
- Be physically and legally residing in host country with the intent to reside there for at least 30 days on the effective date and at renewal.
- Not be hospitalized, disabled, or HIV+ on the initial effective date.
Renewal of Coverage
Eligible insureds whose initial coverage is at least 3 months can request coverage under the plan be renewed monthly for up to 12 month periods, for a maximum of 60 continuous months, as long as the premium is paid when due and the insured continues to meet the eligibility requirements of the plan.
How Does the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Affect My Coverage?
Non-U.S. citizens: As non-resident aliens, international students, scholars, and people involved in cultural exchange programs on F, J, M and Q visas (and certain family members) are not subject to the individual mandate for their first five years in the U.S. All other J categories (teacher, trainee, work and travel, au pair, high school, etc.) are not subject to the individual mandate for two years (out of the past six). Since international students are not subject to the mandate, they are not required to purchase a plan that meets PPACA requirements and can purchase Student Health Advantage.
U.S. citizens: Under ACA, all U.S. citizens, nationals and resident aliens are required to purchase minimum essential coverage (ACA compliant coverage), unless they are exempt. Exempt U.S. citizens include U.S. citizens who reside outside of the U.S. for 330 of any 365-day period, or have a tax home (main place of work or employment, or if you don’t have a main place of work or employment, your main residence) in a foreign country, and is a bona fide resident of a foreign country.