What to Look For When Choosing International Health Insurance
So you’re traveling internationally. Now what? One of the most important things you should do is purchase an international medical insurance plan to cover you during your trip or extended stay abroad.
Don’t be afraid if you have questions or feel overwhelmed the first time you set out on your search for coverage. Before I knew IMG was my provider of choice, I had so many questions: What’s the difference between short-term and long-term plans? What do these insurance terms mean? What’s the best plan for me and where do I buy it? The list goes on.
In searching for the answers to these questions, I had dozens of tabs open on my computer, trying to sift through all of the information. The experience was exhausting, but I also learned what to look for when buying international medical insurance — both short-term and long-term plans.
To provide you a good starting point on your quest for coverage, here’s what I learned!
Three Steps for Choosing International Health Insurance
Step 1: Decide if you need short-term or long-term coverage
At first, I didn’t even realize there was a difference between these two types of coverage. It turns out that the benefits vary based on the type of plan you select, with long-term plans providing more options for coverage, including dental and vision benefits.
So first, identify:
- Are you going on a short-term trip (less than one year) or multiple international trips throughout the year? If so, travel medical insurance (short-term coverage) may be right for you.
- Are you going to be spending more than a year living or working outside of your country of residence? If so, international medical insurance (long-term coverage) may be right for you.
In the past, I have been covered by two different plans from IMG and happily recommend them to my friends and family:
Patriot International Travel Medical Insurance
The Patriot Plan provides individual, family and group coverage usually for five days up to two years. I purchase this plan when I am going on a shorter trip and seeking overall coverage for accidents, illnesses or medical emergencies.
Global Medical Insurance
The Global Medical Insurance Plan provides continuous worldwide medical coverage to people who are living or working outside of their country of residence for one year or longer. This is one of my favorite plans that IMG offers. My husband and I have bought and used this plan three times while we lived abroad in Australia for most of two years and while traveling through Southeast Asia for a year.
Step 2: Take a Look at the Plan Benefits
I can still clearly remember reading and re-reading the benefit summaries when I first considered purchasing international coverage.
Overwhelmed at the time, I remember making several calls to IMG’s Customer Care department to learn the ins and outs of their plans. Every time I called, a friendly and helpful team member was able to answer my questions and explain unfamiliar terms to me so I could feel confident when purchasing coverage. That’s one of the many reasons I am such a loyal IMG customer.
Now, having learned from the experts, here’s what I look at when buying a plan:
- Maximum Limit - It’s important to look at the plan’s maximum limit, which is the total amount the insurance company will pay over a period of time to satisfy claims on that policy. For peace of mind, I typically look for plans with maximum limits at $1 million or more.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation Benefit - This is the second thing I look for in coverage. I want to make sure my plan includes emergency medical evacuation to a nearby medical facility in the event I become seriously ill or injured.
- Adventure Sports Coverage - I am an active traveler. I go hiking, take boat trips and go scuba diving. Different insurance companies define “adventure sports” differently, so if you are planning to do any activities while traveling, be sure to read the policy’s definition of adventure sports. It is typical for this to be included as add-on coverage, or a benefit “rider.” Every time I purchase coverage from IMG, I always include this option, and I am very relieved to be able to do so.
- Exclusions - Most plans will have some conditions that are excluded from coverage. Carefully review this part of the insurance plan to make sure none of them apply to you or your situation. If you are ever in doubt, it is always better to call the insurance company and ask.
- Deductible - The deductible — or amount you must satisfy before your insurance company begins to pay for benefits — can be chosen based on your budget and personal preference. I have chosen deductibles ranging from $250 to $10,000, depending on where I’m traveling and what I plan to do while away from home.
Step 3: Read Reviews for the Insurance Plan You're Considering
In the age of the Internet, it’s easier than ever to look for reviews of a product. Do Web searches and look for travel forums. You can also post questions on sites like Trip Advisor and ask other travelers if they are happy with a company’s international medical insurance products.
The good news is when you are planning a big trip, researching international medical insurance is one chore you can do well in advance. Doing so will give you ample time to read, research and ask questions before making your purchase.
Each time I need to buy short-term or long-term coverage, I browse the marketplace to review my options, but nothing comes close to the coverage and competitive price of IMG’s plans. Every time I hop on a plane, I am so thankful to have coverage from IMG traveling with me.
For over a decade, Tiffany Soukup has traveled to more than 35 countries with her husband Chris, hiking into remote jungles, looking for endangered wildlife and seeking adventures.
Through this website and our social media updates, we are providing content, hyperlinks and references to information and articles, some of which has been created by third parties ("third-party content"). International Medical Group, Inc. and its parents, subsidiaries and affiliates ("IMG") neither endorses nor is responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any information, statement, opinion or advice within this third-party content. It is the responsibility of every user to evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness or usefulness of any information, statement, opinion or advice within the third-party content. Please seek the advice of professionals, as appropriate, regarding the evaluation of any specific information, statement, opinion, or advice within the third-party content. Any concerns regarding such third-party content should be directed to the third-party. You acknowledge that under no circumstances will IMG be liable for any loss or damage caused by reliance on this third-party content.