How to Stay Healthy While Traveling Solo
Whether you're on a multi-country business trip, embarking on a solo international vacation, or living full-time in another country, being away from home can be dangerous for your health. In order to protect yourself, it's important to pay close attention to how you are treating your mind and body on your journey.
Tips for Staying Healthy While Traveling Solo
Maintain Your Mental Health
One of the worst feelings you might suffer while traveling alone is crushing loneliness and isolation. You'll be in a new country and culture, surrounded by people who may not speak your native language.
Loneliness has been shown to have a number of negative effects on health, including an increased risk of heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease.
Here are a few simple ways to maintain your mental health while traveling solo:
- Use Technology to Stay Connected. Use Skype or Whatsapp to stay in touch with your friends and family back home. While it won't replace a hug, it still goes a long way in relieving stress and making you feel loved.
- Engage in the Culture. One of the best ways to get over your sadness is to keep exploring and adventuring. Keep yourself busy by going to local events, trying new foods and experiences, and having fun with the locals.
- Go to Expat Meetups. Meetings with expats are a great way to make new, like-minded friends from across the world, helping you feel less alone. Check local websites, bars, and other venues to find meetings you can attend.
Maintain Your Physical Health
Being in a foreign country means you won't have access to your local gym. It also means you might be splurging on exotic foods high in saturated fat and carbohydrates, both of which contribute to obesity and reduce the effectiveness of your immune system. In order to keep your body fit and nourished, keep these tips in mind.
- Try Workout Videos. Just because you don't have access to a gym, doesn't mean you still can't break a sweat. There are a number of online workout programs that you can complete from the comfort of your hotel room or apartment.
- Prepare Your Own Meals. While you might be tempted to eat out every night, this probably isn't the healthiest option. Cut down on calories and get more nutrients by prepping your own meals using locally grown ingredients.
- Take Healthful Supplements. Because your diet might be different from normal, you might be lacking certain vitamins and minerals. In particular, taking vitamin C, vitamin B-6, and vitamin E supplements are proven to boost your immune system.
Stop Worrying so You can Enjoy your Trip!
While following these tips will help you maintain your mental and physical health, emergencies do happen. You should always have a plan in place in case you get injured or fall ill. Do what you can from this list to take care of yourself while traveling solo - but also be sure to purchase short-term or long-term international medical insurance from IMG to safeguard against the unexpected!
Through this website and our social media updates, we are providing content, hyperlinks and references to information and articles, some of which has been created by third parties ("third-party content"). International Medical Group, Inc. and its parents, subsidiaries and affiliates ("IMG") neither endorses nor is responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any information, statement, opinion or advice within this third-party content. It is the responsibility of every user to evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness or usefulness of any information, statement, opinion or advice within the third-party content. Please seek the advice of professionals, as appropriate, regarding the evaluation of any specific information, statement, opinion, or advice within the third-party content. Any concerns regarding such third-party content should be directed to the third-party. You acknowledge that under no circumstances will IMG be liable for any loss or damage caused by reliance on this third-party content.