2018 Expat Health Insurance Brief: Mexico
Mexico is a top destination for expats covered by International Medical Group® (IMG®) long-term expatriate health insurance plans.
For expats residing in Mexico who want access to worldwide medical care, there are several health insurance programs available. Expats should be aware of a few key health care considerations as they prepare to move abroad.
What Expats Need to Know About Health Care in Mexico
Individuals and families moving to Mexico should evaluate their health care options and get at least one quote from a private health insurance provider to best understand the coverage, cost and quality of available plans.
Expats living in Mexico with temporary or permanent resident visas can apply for the Mexican public health care insurance system — Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social (IMSS) — but they should note that IMSS does not cover dental care, preventive care, maternity care, or expats seeking care when traveling outside of Mexico.
Many employers enroll their expats in IMSS automatically, and offer supplemental private insurance recommendations as well. Read on for tips on finding the right insurance coverage for you.
5 Health Insurance Considerations for Expats Moving to Mexico
- The low cost of care means you can save more than you might think on health care costs.
- Due to proximity, many North American expats from Canada and the U.S. seek expat insurance plans specifically for coverage while traveling and for medical evacuation coverage.
- It’s common practice for Mexican hospitals to require payment before patients are discharged. To avoid delays in care, be sure you know your plan’s pre-authorization procedures.
- Many expats opt for private plans like IMG’s Global Medical Insurance® for the primary benefits of reduced wait times and receiving more comprehensive services than public facilities can provide.
- Before you move, contact the hospital closest to where you plan to live to gauge two key factors: (1) How easy is it to communicate? (2) What insurance do they accept other than IMSS? Another key benefit of buying IMG’s Global Medical Insurance® is 24/7 native language phone support.
Ready to purchase coverage? Get a quote for IMG’s Global Medical Insurance® plan.
These materials are for informational purposes only and do not contain legal advice. The laws and regulations regarding healthcare and the need or requirement to have health insurance in foreign countries are diverse and their application to your situation depends upon many facts. You should contact your attorney to obtain legal advice on any particular issue.
Through this website and our social media updates, we are providing content, hyperlinks and references to information and articles, some of which has been created by third parties ("third-party content"). International Medical Group, Inc. and its parents, subsidiaries and affiliates ("IMG") neither endorses nor is responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any information, statement, opinion or advice within this third-party content. It is the responsibility of every user to evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness or usefulness of any information, statement, opinion or advice within the third-party content. Please seek the advice of professionals, as appropriate, regarding the evaluation of any specific information, statement, opinion, or advice within the third-party content. Any concerns regarding such third-party content should be directed to the third-party. You acknowledge that under no circumstances will IMG be liable for any loss or damage caused by reliance on this third-party content.