Cricket World Cup 2019: Make It A Vacation
There’s nothing like the rush of your favorite team playing for a championship. For many fans, planning a trip to see their favorite team earn a championship victory is a bucket list item. Sports leagues around the world generally have their own year-end tournaments, but the opportunity for global competition only comes around every so often. Worldwide sporting events range from the World Cup, the Olympics, Wimbledon, the Commonwealth Games, to the upcoming Cricket World Cup.
What You Need to Know
The Cricket World Cup takes place every four years. The first Cricket World Cup began in 1975, which makes this year's competition the 12th edition. The upcoming tournament is hosted by the UK and Wales from May 30, 2019 to July 14, 2019. This year is the first time that only 10 teams can qualify for the Cricket World Cup, as the number was scaled down to increase competition.
The 2019 Cricket World Cup has qualified teams from:
- South Africa
- New Zealand
- Sri Lanka
Turning a Sporting Event into a Vacation
If you are considering a trip this summer to see your favorite team play in a game or two, why not make it into a vacation? This year's tournament takes place over a month and a half time frame, so you can count on a lot of downtime. Our advice? Make your trip into a vacation as both the UK and Wales offer truly amazing sites to visit. Games are hosted at various stadiums throughout both countries, so check out our recommendations for “can’t miss” spots while you’re in town for the games.
London Sightseeing – The Oval Stadium
- Buckingham Palace – home to the Queen of England
- London Eye – overlook the River Thames in the observation wheel
- Big Ben – take a picture with the nation’s national time piece
Nottingham Spots – Trent Bridge Cricket Stadium
- Nottingham Castle – check out the bronze statue of Robin Hood
- Green’s Mill and Science Centre – visit the windmill and learn more about the flour making process
- Old Square Market – great for people watching
Cardiff – Sophia Gardens
- Cardiff Castle – at the time this castle was built, it was built for the richest man in all of Wales
- The Hopbunker – known for award-winning ciders
- Norwegian Church – beautiful church turned into an arts center and café
Hampshire - Rose Bowl Cricket Grounds
- Emirates Spinnaker Tower – breathtaking views overlooking the English Channel
- Highclere Castle – Tour the actual Downton Abbey country house
- Peppa Pig World – Traveling with children? They are sure to love the Peppa Pig theme park
West Yorkshire – Headingley Stadium
- Keighley and Worth Valley Rail – Enjoy learning about vintage trains
- SMJ Falconry – study different types of falcons found in the UK
- Yorkshire Sculpture Park – the first sculpture park in the UK
Protect Your Trip
If you're traveling internationally, it's always a good idea to consider travel insurance or travel medical insurance. While we hope nothing goes wrong on your trip, accidents can happen. Visit the following links to learn more about our most popular travel medical insurance plan, Patriot Travel Medical Insurance, or our most popular travel protection plan, iTravelInsured SE.
Through this website and our social media updates, we are providing content, hyperlinks and references to information and articles, some of which has been created by third parties ("third-party content"). International Medical Group, Inc. and its parents, subsidiaries and affiliates ("IMG") neither endorses nor is responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any information, statement, opinion or advice within this third-party content. It is the responsibility of every user to evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness or usefulness of any information, statement, opinion or advice within the third-party content. Please seek the advice of professionals, as appropriate, regarding the evaluation of any specific information, statement, opinion, or advice within the third-party content. Any concerns regarding such third-party content should be directed to the third-party. You acknowledge that under no circumstances will IMG be liable for any loss or damage caused by reliance on this third-party content.